Real estate transactions can be exciting for both buyers and sellers. Whether you are looking to buy commercial property, or trying to sell the family estate, an experienced lawyer can simplify the process and help you avoid common pitfalls. At Castle Law, our real estate lawyers provide comprehensive counsel on a wide range of property matters from residential sales to commercial land development and leasing. Our goal is to protect your interests while making the real estate transaction process straightforward, from start to finish.
How our real estate lawyers can help you
If you are looking to buy, sell, lease, or develop land in Vancouver, be sure to seek competent legal counsel.
Our real estate lawyers offer guidance on the following concerns:
Residential purchases — Few events compare to purchasing your first home. At our firm, we understand that you may be stressed or concerned about the road ahead. Rest assured, we will guide you through each stage of the process and answer any questions you have along the way.
Residential sales — Selling your home requires more than just an MLS listing. And, the deeper you move into the sales process, the more complicated things can get — paying out any associated mortgages and acquiring the sale proceeds are two examples. Our Vancouver real estate lawyers handle each step of the sales process so that your only worries are signing and moving out.
Refinancing — After you’ve selected one of the various mortgage products on the market, refinancing your home is simple. Once you decide on a mortgage alternative, contact our firm and we can help you traverse real estate refinancing laws.
Co-ownership agreements — If you plan on sharing ownership of a property with friends and family, it’s a good idea to create a co-ownership agreement. Our lawyers can help you draft a thorough, legally binding document to protect your rights and prevent future disputes.
Buying and selling commercial real estate — If you are looking to buy or sell commercial real estate in Vancouver, our lawyers can help manage the legal aspects of the transaction so that you can focus on protecting your bottom line.
Financing commercial property — Our legal team can work with brokers and lenders to streamline the commercial financing process to facilitate the timely advance of loan funds.
Land assemblies — If you are looking to combine adjacent lots to form a larger parcel of land, our real estate lawyers can assist you with the legal process. Having represented both buyers and sellers, we possess an in-depth understanding of how land assemblies can maximize land use for commercial or residential strata properties.
Real estate development — At Castle Law, our lawyers work with developers every step of the way — from land acquisition and consolidating lots to drafting legal agreements and holding deposits.
Commercial leasing — Our lawyers routinely help tenants and landlords prepare, review, and amend commercial lease agreements
Whether you are interested in purchasing residential real estate or selling a commercial or retail lot, our legal team can provide you with trusted advice at every turn.
WHY DO YOU NEED
What does a real estate lawyer do?
Most people interested in buying or selling real estate understand the importance of hiring an agent. However, hiring a competent lawyer can be even more beneficial. Not only can a real estate lawyer guide you through the buying/selling process, but they can also protect your rights and offer advice on how to resolve any issues that may arise.
The responsibilities of a real estate lawyer vary based on the type of transaction and stage of the process.
Some common duties include:
- Review all legal documents (including the Agreement of Purchase or Agreement of Sale) as well as any issues pertaining to the transaction.
- Ensure property taxes are up to date.
- Ensure that there are no liens or claims registered against the property.
- Identify if there is a valid property title and determine what land transfer tax is due at closing.
- Litigate any issues that cannot be resolved out of court.
- Review of the Status Certificate for cases involving condo purchases.
What are the roles of a real estate lawyer for the buyer?
Given that buying a house is likely the largest purchase you will ever make, you should consult a lawyer beforehand.
Whether you’re a first-time homebuyer in Vancouver, or looking to sell a rural retreat, a real estate lawyer can perform the following roles on your behalf:
- Assess the Agreement of Purchase and all other legal documents
- Ensure there no claims or liens against the property exist
- Arrange for title insurance
- Make sure your title is valid at closing
- Ensure property taxes are current
- Determine the land transfer tax owed at closing
- Arrange mortgage documentation
- Close the transaction, ensuring all legal and financial obligations are satisfied
- Exchange keys and legal documentation with the seller’s counsel
No matter what stage you are at in the homebuying process, a lawyer can provide you with invaluable advice on how to move forward.
WHAT CAN A
Real Estate Lawyer
Do For You?
What are the roles of a real estate lawyer as a seller?
When the time comes to sell, some homeowners believe they can proceed without any help. While you may be able to promote your home online without an agent, selling your house without a skilled lawyer is another story.
Some responsibilities of a seller’s lawyer include:
- Review the Agreement of Sale and all other documents requiring your signature
- Negotiate the terms and conditions on your behalf
- Ensure the deed to your house is prepared
- Identify and resolve any title issues that may arise
- Close the transaction
- Ensure all financial and legal requirements are met
- Exchange keys and legal documentation with the buyer’s counsel
Whether you plan on buying or selling property in BC, a knowledgeable lawyer can simplify the process and help ensure your best interests are protected along the way.
Frequently Asked Questions
Connect With Us
Contact a dedicated team of Vancouver real estate lawyers
At Castle Law, our lawyers provide personalized guidance for a wide range of residential and commercial real estate endeavors. Let us handle the legal legwork so you can focus on the future. Call or contact us online to discuss your real estate matter with one of our skilled lawyers.
LOOKING TO BUY?