Given that buying a house is likely the largest purchase you will ever make, you should consult a lawyer beforehand.
Whether you’re a first-time homebuyer in Vancouver, or looking to sell a rural retreat, a real estate lawyer can perform the following roles on your behalf:
- Assess the Agreement of Purchase and all other legal documents
- Ensure there no claims or liens against the property exist
- Arrange for title insurance
- Make sure your title is valid at closing
- Ensure property taxes are current
- Determine the land transfer tax owed at closing
- Arrange mortgage documentation
- Close the transaction, ensuring all legal and financial obligations are satisfied
- Exchange keys and legal documentation with the seller’s counsel
No matter what stage you are at in the homebuying process, a lawyer can provide you with invaluable advice on how to move forward.